Saturday, March 28, 2015

Decoupage Clipboards- A Partial Tutorial


 I had not thought of making anything with clipboards lately but when the opportunity came to purchase a bunch of used ones, that's just what I did. 
I had seen decoupaged ones online with pretty papers -and of course I love using mod podge-and I have tons of fancy papers-so what better project than this?
I'll call this a 'partial tutorial', because I am still learning and experimenting with different types of sealants and techniques.


From the photos, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between the different sealants, but they are visible in person.
these are some of the tools I used-mod podge(glossy), a clamp, fine grit sandpaper, a foam brush, and a brayer

Since these were not the craft store type of clipboards where you can undo the screws and remove the clip, I had to first trace a template.This was a little trial and error-you can see a photo of that on my instagram page: instagram.com/andrea1creates. If you can remove the clip, then that is the easier route and just trace the clipboard onto the back of your paper.

Attempt #1)
I first cleaned the board, and applied a thin layer of glossy mod podge with a foam brush. I think my layer was a little too thin because my paper is thick, and even though it dried flat and smooth, when I applied the top coat, it started bubbling and coming loose from the board in areas. These did however go away for the most part, once dry.

Attempt #2)
For my 2nd clipboard, and again after cleaning the board, I applied a thicker layer of mod podge between the paper and board. I tried to make the brush strokes as smooth as possible. Then applied the paper and added a coat of mod podge to that, smoothing it out with a plastic card. This made some of the paper tear in one area. Note : I would use the card as little as possible, or make sure to have enough mod podge on top to smooth out.


Attempt #3)
 For my 3rd board attempt, and after doing a little online researching, I used a liquitex matte gel( as this is what I had on hand-no photo, sorry). I applied quite a bit first to the board with the foam brush, then to the right side of the paper. Then I applied the paper to the board. I used my fingers and a brayer and smoothed it all out. This did stretch the paper a bit, but I think the results were a little less bubbly, and my favorite so far.
  I did not like the dried finish in matte though, so I applied glossy mod podge on top,
 I would either try a glossy version of liquitex next time, or just use glossy mod podge and rerpeat the same way.
For both types of sealants : after each coat,  I used my fine grit sand paper to rough and smooth the edges a bit-I didn't want them to look too perfect. Make sure to clean off the dust between each coat of sealant.

I've added a few more thin coats of glossy mod-podge between layers.

So now that I've run out of this exact paper, and these are my practice boards, I will probably just keep these for myself. I do have lots more paper though, and more boards- I'll keep practicing- you're sure to see more here soon : )

If you can get the paper real smooth, they'd be great as writing boards, or if you use a notepad of some sort. Or just hang them on the wall and clip things to them. My Mom had another idea I'm anxious to see if we can make work...until then, I'm  off to find more paper!

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Drawstring Bags- Knitting and Crochet Project Bags

I love mixing and matching fabrics, and I have plenty  on hand to choose from.(too many-time for Spring cleaning!)
I also have lots of ribbons/cords/trim to use, and thought I'd make up some drawstring bags for -well I think they'd make great knitting and crochet project bags myself, but of course they could be used for other things.

 This bag is sort of an enlarged version of a gift card holder tutorial I made awhile back.You can find it here.
I did modify it a bit-besides the size of course ; )
shot cotton lining


vintage doily applique
 This one was more of a practice bag (see below)-I ended up placing the fabric sideways though that doesn't bother me too much, amazingly. However, I did try to rearrange the channel for the cord different ways, several times, and so it ended up being a 'for me' bag....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin